Monday 25 April 2016

Project Evaluation



The project theme for this term was 'Gothic Horror'. I was really excited to be able to learn new techniques in Sue's technical lessons and master special effects. I have been wanting to learn how to master wounds, burns, cuts and sores for a long time and it was one of the main reasons I came to Solent university. However, I did struggle with this. I originally wanted to use special effects in my final character design but I really couldn't get the hang of the special effects and I felt as though I needed more practise before I would be confident enough to use them on a big project like this. I also didn't think that special effects would go with my chosen TV series, as 'American Horror Story: COVEN' witches aren't gory and they're almighty and powerful.

The most interesting part of this project for me was being able to create three characters and make them my own. It was really good to be able to start the project by creating a character from our chosen novel by following a rough guideline and making them appropriate for a TV series/program. I thought this introduced us well into the project, and I enjoyed creating my own 'Lucy Westenra' from Dracula. I found the continuity assessment difficult, because I felt the pressure of having to create a look in a limited amount of time, twice, exactly the same. I felt pleased with my final outcome though. For the second half of the project, it was fun to let loose and design personalities and looks for our characters from scratch.

Although I enjoyed the process of the entire project, I did run into a few problems. With the continuity designs/assessment, I chose a tricky makeup idea to recreate for the second half of the assessment. Getting the base, eye makeup and eyebrows were fine, but recreating the bloody mouth was more difficult than anticipated. I used a stippling sponge to apply fake blood around my models mouth, and evidently although it made great realistic looking splodges, they were hard to get right the second time around. As well as this, I didn't pay enough attention to the camera settings I had used during the first assessment, and ended up with very different looking photos in the second assessment. This was really frustrating because I think I got the hair and makeup nailed, but the photos let me down massively!

As well as this, I found shooting for the second half of the project quite difficult. For my 'Mrs Laderman' I was shooting on location with my model in the New Forest. I had planned it so that it was going to be a sunny day and that I'd get some great shots, however it rained lightly once and I had to think on the spot what to do with my model. Footwear choice was not great either. Next time I want to make sure I have my model prepared for all weather, and remember to bring an umbrella to protect the hair I spent hours styling!!
I also found the shoot for my 'Claudia' character was difficult too. I had spent a lot of money on a roll of wallpaper to stick to the black polystyrene boards in the photographic studios, however it was a heavy material and didn't want to stay up. We had a job making it stay and used two boxes of pins - even then it kept falling down! In the end I had a friend on our course come and hold the wallpaper taught so that it looked good in the images. I now know I have to practise shoot setups on location as well as in studios before shooting on the day!

If I were to do this project differently I would definitely use special effects on my characters. It's a real shame that I didn't feel like I had the confidence to do so, as I could have created some very morbid characters from another American Horror Story series! However I am really pleased with the outcome of the makeup and photographs I have produced and really enjoyed the process of planning, designing and shooting. I've also really enjoyed the research aspect of this project and have found that I'm really passionate about fashion now too. I can't wait to incorporate all of my new skills in the next project and over the summer in my own personal projects!


No comments:

Post a Comment