Monday 11 April 2016

Vivienne Westwood's Red Label SS14 Show


This particular SS14 show from Vivienne Westwood inspired me in terms of gothic makeup. It was said the initial reaction from the audience at the show was 'the dance of death resurrected'. The models were painted with white bases and splurged with spontaneous shapes in black, red and blue paint. The uneven and unperfect makeup made a huge impact on the show, adding the vibe of gothic strangeness.


The show was opened by model Lily Cole in a very contemporary fashion that no one was expecting. She was in a dark red lighting setup, surrounded by smoke whilst eerie music played to support her. The show was described by someone as a scene of Excalibur, a romantic story of sorcery. It had a witchy and mythical feel to it, especially with the models painted in an Avant-guard fashion by artist Val Garland - they looked like walking art pieces. A truly inspiring and memorable show that has influenced me and inspired me to do a photoshoot very similar!

I attempted to recreate a similar look using my supra colour palette and an artists paintbrush. I used this brush rather than a makeup brush because I wanted the squared edges and roughness to the strokes - the makeup from the SS14 show was messy and far from perfect so I tried to do the same thing. I used the same sort of colours; a white base, black and a red.





Bibliography

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/17176/1/vivienne-westwood-red-label-ss14 (photos from this site)

http://www.yourcoffeebreak.co.uk/fashion/26338737098/vivienne-westwood-red-label-ss14-collection/

No comments:

Post a Comment