Friday 18 March 2016

Props for my continuity design

I wanted to create a prop for my continuity exam that would suit the era. I watched Bram Stoker's 'Dracula', 1992, for some inspiration as I was interested to see what the makeup and styling was like. I paid particular interest in Lucy as she is my chosen character, and especially liked her wedding dress in her final scenes. I really liked the ruff, and thought it would have looked particularly grim if it was covered in blood!! I took this as inspiration for creating my own Victorian ruff. I researched online and thought about buying one from eBay but decided to give making one a go by using lace and stitching it all together on a sewing machine.


The ruff I made was a lot smaller than the ruff Lucy Westenra had in the film production of Dracula. I think for my final design I will use some silk material and wrap it around my models shoulders - a simplistic approach to a wedding dress!! 
To create the ruff:
I bought about 2 meters of lace and half a meter of lacy material. I simply stitched the lace underneath each other and left two long pieces at the back so that I can tie them to my model - this also meant I can use it on several people for future shoots/designs (one size fits all!!). In my first practise session with my partner, I am going to apply the same fake blood to the lace ruff that will be on the model. Very pleased with this :) 


Bibliography:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/66/e4/ef/66e4ef558d3e274c121bb71c49e39c08.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment