Thursday 10 March 2016

Technical File: Creating light scars using moulds

In our lesson with Sue today we learnt how to create realistic looking scars using moulds. I found this lesson quite tricky because it takes a long time to work down the edges of the moulds so that they sit nicely on the skin and don't look like they've been plonked there! Here is how we achieved a scar:
  1. Cover the client so that no product gets on them/their clothes
  2. Cut the edges of the mould off; keep these rough so that the mould sticks better and you can work down the edges
  3. Once you have stuck your mould to the desired area, wait for it to set and dry for a few minutes
  4. Once dry, use a cotton bud doused in pure witch hazel and rub at the edges lightly until they blend nicely with the skin. This can take quite a while so be patient!
  5. You can remove excess glue with pro-clean; be careful not to go too heavy with this as the solution could lift the mould away from the skin in places. 
  6. Finish the mould with baby powder to make it look more fleshy and realistic! 
Colouring the mould
  1. To colour the scar mould, mix up a few realistic colours from the supra colour palette 
  2. I used paler colours for the edge of the mould/as a base to make sure that the darker colours on the mould weren't just suddenly there. It made it look more blended out and realistic looking.

Products used:

  • Matrix scar moulds
  • Witch hazel
  • Pro clean
  • Supra colour palette
Tools used:
  • Cotton buds
  • Artist brushes
HEALTH AND SAFETY:

For this task I ensured that my working space was clear and bags/coats put away. I made sure my hands were clean before starting the process and kept the model covered to insure nothing spilt on her clothing.

I found this lesson really difficult and its something I want to practise again to perfect it. The outcome of my scar to me wasn't very realistic, it seemed too bright in colour, for one, and the shape/smoothness of the edges wasn't how I wanted it. I am going to attempt to make my own moulds so that I can practise this particular technique! 

No comments:

Post a Comment